Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Refuge

On Highway 41 going north out of Perry, Georgia, on the left is a place called The Refuge. It is a church of some denomination, exactly which is unknown to me, though I percieve the folks whose cars are parked around the outside would call themselves Christians. It is the name of the place that interests me and as I drove further north I pondered what meaning the name may have and what are they trying to tell me, the often passerby.

I've heard others, I mean other religous folk, speak of the evil in this world and how this thing or that thing is evil. I just smile a little smile, tickled a bit by the roots of ancient superstitions being manifest in a person of today, and feel the sensation inside my body as I laugh behind my smile. Sometimes it is hard to contain and a laugh escapes my mouth and I have inadvertently hurt someone's feelings. Oh, well.

The Refuge. It says it all. All about what it is to those inside. I imagine they think of The Refuge as a refuge from the world and all the evil in it. Yet I smile and perhaps laugh a little laugh inside because I know there is no evil in and of itself in any object or place and I know that evil certainly does exist. I also know there is no refuge from evil anywhere except where you can be alone and maybe not even there. Where ever mankind goes evil soon follows, and sometimes arrives at the same time. It may even be found in The Refuge.

Then, in what place is there refuge from ourselves?

No comments: